NLP Considerations and misconceptions
Things to be aware when selecting NLP training in Goa or in general
NLP training in Goa has thrived not because of the demand in the local Goa market, but because of the fact that many participants from other parts of India or outside of India want to attend this program in a serene place like Goa. If you think about NLP training in Goa it brings up images like Blue Ocean, cool breeze, great food, great music, and balmy weather. If you are a newbie at NLP, make sure that this is not the only criteria for you to consider while attending an NLP training in Goa, or for attending an NLP program in general. Best NLP programs focus on the needs of the participants, rather than trick participants in attending them.
You are bound to make mistakes because of the nature of the manipulative NLP marketplace, and promoting NLP training in Goa by untrained Trainers seems to be the new entrant in the market, as this helps in some way to hide the other details with respect to their fraudulent credentials. There are people ready to sell you anything and everything in the name of NLP: NLP & Yoga, NLP and Psychotherapy, NLP and Psychology, NLP and Positive Psychology, NLP loaded with X, and NLP loaded with Y – Classic NLP and Pure form of NLP has nothing to do with Psychology, Psychotherapy, or Yoga or any other field.
NLP was a revolutionary development in Personal Change area, which started 45 years back, and it is not Psychology. Most of the beginners contemplating to do an NLP program do not understand the difference clearly and can fall prey to NLP Trainers who get marketing consultants to put up a rosy picture around the subject, and around them on their websites, or in advertisements. NLP is not meant to solve all your life problems or make them disappear. A person has to work towards them, and only if a person is willing to change, and make an effort to change then only it can happen. Here are some top mistakes that participants generally make while selecting an NLP program, or things a person needs to be aware of while selecting an NLP program:
- The Name: For someone who is looking to understand Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), which itself can be quite tongue-twisting for many individuals, can get frustrated if they are looking to understand it logically or cognitively, or by paying too much attention to the name. NLP is a subjective experience and has to experienced personally. There are many who try to learn NLP from books directly, which can lead to frustration as reading an NLP book is different from experiencing an NLP program with an NLP Trainer in a classroom-based setting. So be patient and attend a classroom-based NLP training program, rather than paying too much attention to the name, and what is means.
- NLP is only for people with high IQ: Another misconception with NLP that is very common is that it is difficult to understand, and is only for those who have high IQ. Well, NLP is easier to understand ifsomeone who does not use too much of prior knowledge or logical thinking while learning. On the contrary NLP is easier to learn if you know less about Psychology, Psychotherapy or any Self-Help therapy.
- NLP is a theoretical subject: Another big misconception about NLP is that it is a theoretical subject, and has to be learned how you learn academic subjects. NLP was created by Richard Bandler and Frank Pucelik by being playful, by having an attitude of curiosity to find out how things work, how to get results faster, to make excellence easy for people to understand and develop. Richard Bandler says, “NLPians are not theorists, we are modelers. We model excellence”. NLP started as a movement to move away from theoretical and theory-based approaches to change, and this is the only reason that it is more successful than others, as it has nothing to do with understanding the problem of a client, but how to apply it with clients, by understanding them.
- NLP is Academic: Another misconception about NLP is about the syllabus that a person has to follow while learning it. If someone follows an exam-based approach to teachthen that is fear-based learning. NLP is application-based learning, the more a person uses it on self, and others the more a person will learn. NLP is vast, and different trainers keep the topics based on their choice and preference in various courses. Nobody can teach entire NLP in an NLP Practitioner program, but some core topics are essential, and part of a good NLP Practitioner program. If you want to learn NLP, make sure you are not learning Psychology or some other form of NLP, which is not NLP.
- NLP is Manipulative: NLP is not manipulative, but it can be used by someone who has malicious intentions of using it to cheat people, that part of cheating people is manipulation. Infact, many NLP Trainers selling their courses using names of other accreditations bodies is manipulative, using logos of others is manipulative, using content of others is manipulative, using tactics to get people into a class is manipulative.
If you are learning NLP from a place where you want to be the best version of yourself, you will be able to get whatever you want to achieve in life using NLP. If you wish to succeed in life and get the desired results with NLP training in Goa, or by attending NLP Practitioner training in someplace else in India, then you must be aware and park the misconceptions about NLP, and focus only on learning NLP.